R. Kelly Accuser Devastated After Charges Dropped Against Singer
A victim in R. Kelly’s sexual abuse case in Cook County, Illinois is speaking out after prosecutors decided to drop the charges against the singer. According to the Chicago Tribune, Lanita Carter is devastated.
NEW: When Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx made an unusual public plea for #RKelly accusers to come forward, Lanita Carter answered the call.
Now 4 years later, her case was dropped by Foxx’s office, and Carter tells @crepeau she feels twice burned. https://t.co/z3Ptp2QaUi
— Jason Meisner (@jmetr22b) January 31, 2023
A Chicago Prosecutor Announced The Decision To Drop The Charges On Monday
As reported by Associated Press, Cook County State Attorney Kim Foxx shared she would ask the judge presiding over the case to drop the charges against Kelly. The singer has been accused of sexually abusing four victims, three of whom were minors.
Foxx explained her decision to drop the charges. And shared that she believes the defamed musician will never have the opportunity to be a free man again.
Mr. Kelly is potentially looking at the possibility of never walking out of prison again for the crimes that he’s committed. While today’s cases are no longer being pursued, we believe justice has been served.
To date, Kelly is serving a 30-year prison sentence for federal charges brought against him in New York. And he is awaiting sentencing for additional charges from a Chicago federal court. Kelly will receive his sentencing for that case on February 23.
According to the outlet, Kelly is appealing his New York charges. But with that sentencing alone, Kelly “won’t be eligible for release until he is around 80.”
Additionally, Foxx explained that the money not used for this trial will instead fund “advocacy for other survivors of sexual abuse.”
The Prosecutor Understands The Decision “May Be Disappointing” For Kelly’s Accusers
Foxx shared her admiration for the victims in the case, acknowledging the “courage it took for them to come forward.” She added that she understands the decision to drop the charges against Kelly “may be disappointing” for the accusers.
Kelly’s attorney, Jennifer Bonjean, is pleased with the decision.
He only has one life to give. So I don’t know how many sentences upon sentences would satisfy people.
One Of Kelly’s Accusers Shares Her Disappointment For The Decision
One of Kelly’s accusers — his former hairdresser — Lanita Carter, is “devastated.”
I have spent nearly 20 years hoping that my abuser would be brought to justice for what he did to me. With today’s announcement, all hope of justice for my case is gone… Justice has been denied for me.
In an interview with the Chicago Tribune, Carter explained that she “put a lot of hope” into the prosecutors who brought the charges against him.
I put a lot of hope into them, that I would see justice one day, and it was so important to me that I did.
Carter explained that she has, once again, been let down.
My case matters. When they told me that I didn’t have a case in 2003, I said okay, and I tried to keep on going. Now I come forward again, after you call me to come forward. And now you’re saying it again.
Despite the unfavorable decision, Carter is still trying to remain positive.
I’ve still got to be positive. But I can’t help but say, this is some bull, this is terrible for me. I’m upset. But I still have to find the silver lining and I’ve still got to heal. At the end of the day, I’ve got to be able to walk away. But you know, it did not feel good.
Carter alleges that she was sexually assaulted by Kelly in 2003. She was 24 years old and said she had been braiding his hair for about a year when the sexual abuse occurred.
Carter also shared some words of encouragement for other victims of sexual abuse.
Speak your truth. Don’t hide it, go to the police right away. And hopefully, justice looks different for them, because (Foxx) says she had resources for them now that she’s not going to use on my case.