Plastic or Paper Shopping Bags For a Business | A Detailed Analysis
As a company owner, how you portray yourself to the consumer is only one of many choices you will have to make. No aspect of your company’s operation is too little, since it might determine whether or not a customer returns. It’s important to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of the various bag options before settling on a final selection for your customers. Before deciding on a product to sell, consider the aspects of both plastic and paper shopping bags. Read this post carefully to get the answer to your questions related to shopping bag selection.
There is a wide range of plastic grocery bags available, each with its own unique look, feel, and features. Businesses often use blank plastic t-shirt bags and thank-you bags. Take into account the benefits and drawbacks of providing plastic bags to your shoppers:-
Plastic Bag Pros
- Sanitary: Plastic’s dearth of pores makes it an unfavorable environment for microorganisms. As a result of the spread of the COVID-19 virus, several municipalities throughout the globe are promoting the use of plastic shopping bags instead of paper bags. They are so popular that many prefer them over reusable cloth bags.
- Prevents Drips: Plastic bags are useful for containing leaks since they are impermeable. This is especially useful for companies that deal with liquids since items that have been damaged in transit or are not properly sealed might leak and cause a mess for the consumer upon their return home.
- Flexible: Plastic bags with handles may be easily used to accommodate items of varying sizes and shapes. And because they’re less likely to get crushed in transit, you’ll spend less time packing them before sending them to the cashier.
Plastic Bag Cons
- Costly to Customers: To reduce the widespread distribution and use of disposable plastic bags, several jurisdictions have implemented fee structures for their purchases. Customers could be dissatisfied if they learn that it would cost them 10 cents to $1 for each bag they use to transport their purchases. As this trend grows, you may want to think about how your clientele would react to the added cost.
Similar variations may be seen in paper bag dimensions and designs. You may select from a wide variety of bags, including those with or without handles, those that are white or brown, and those that range in size from tiny lunch totes to enormous supermarket totes. The benefits and drawbacks of using paper bags are as follows:-
Paper Bag Pros
- Sturdy: Paper bags have a greater capacity for carrying heavy items than their plastic counterparts. Customers will save money and help the environment by opting for fewer paper bags than they would plastic ones.
- Promotes the Brand Visibly: You might get greater exposure for your brand on paper bags due to their rigidity. This is especially useful in retail, since clients may effectively carry a little billboard for your business while they shop at a mall or shopping center.
- Positive Representation of the Environment: There are advantages and disadvantages to both plastic and paper, which has sparked a heated discussion over which is best for the planet. The population at large, however, continues to believe the misconception that paper is better for the planet. Customers looking to support environmentally friendly businesses may select paper bags.
Paper Bag Cons
- Not Waterproof: Think about the weather patterns where you’ll be operating your firm. Do your business in an area that gets a lot of rain? If that’s the case, you may not want to provide paper bags for your clients. Paper bags are not as durable as plastic ones and may quickly become wet or torn, which can cause problems for clients who are attempting to carry their purchases inside.
Plastic Vs Paper Shopping Bags – Who Wins
Ultimately, the best choice depends on the specific circumstances and priorities of the consumer and the retailer. Therefore, there is no clearer winner. As a business, you can use both plastic or paper grocery bags according to requirements.